Monday, July 21, 2008

Langkawi: Eagle Square


Langkawi Islands is named after a bird.

The name Langkawi is a combination of 2 different languages. The “Lang” comes from the Malay word helang, which means eagle. This is because the islands were famous for its number of eagles in the past. On the other hand, the word “Kawi” means marble in Sanskrit, because marble is found in excess there. So both words combined and eventually became Langkawi.

See, who say auditor’s history knowledge sucks?

As mentioned above, Langkawi was a home for a large number of eagles is the past, but now due to excessive hunting by us humans, the numbers plummeted until the government had to protect it using laws by categorizing the eagles as endangered species in Malaysia.

So to celebrate the falling of numbers of eagle, sorry, to create a symbol to represent Langkawi, the government decided to build a damn huge eagle sculpture near the Kuah jetty.




The eagle sculpture was so big that it can be seen kilometers away from the Kuah Jetty.




So big that when I got near it, I am so scared that the stupid bird will shit on me.


I think the eagle's shit will be as huge as a car


To be honest if you stand from afar and see it, the whole sculpture is a magnificent view. A lot of visitors like me went all the way to there just to take photos of the stupid bird.


Some Chinese locals think that the eagle sculpture is a good thing because it symbolizes that Langkawi’s economic will take off greatly in the future as the sculpture is an eagle ready to fly off to the sky. It’s something related to feng shui stuff lah.
The view was nice but I was sleepy...


The sunset view at the Eagle Square was beautiful. I am always a big fan of sunset or sunrise views so I couldn’t resist but to take some photos of the nice view.

A big bird sculpture and sunset view, only in Langkawi.

3 comments:

travelcrab said...

Great pic. I didn't take a pic like this while I was there though the sun was perfect. It was very sunny by the time I was there last March.

Leong Yi Yang said...

aiya... then u missed a good chance to take good pics d. i m still learning to take good pics, if got any tips pls tell me. Happy CNY.

travelcrab said...

I know. the sunset pic is wonderful. Happy CNY to u too... :)