Saturday, November 29, 2008

Snorkeling trip at Tioman Island


I went to Tioman for its famous underwater scenery, even though I wasn’t able to view those beautiful underwater scenery during my first diving trip, I managed to get what I want during my snorkeling trip the next day.

Fishes under the jetty

Me and Amy got a contact from the hotel receptionist and soon got ourselves a boat and a tour guide. We mentioned to the tour guide that we wanted to see beautiful fishes and corals, luckily he was more than happy to bring us to some of the nice snorkeling spot.

Our tour guide

The tour guide brought us to 3 different places to snorkel for the whole day trip. We snorkeled around some of the small islands off the main island where pollution was at a minimum level.


The crystal clear water was really nice as I can still see the white sands a few meters in the water. There were also a lot of beautiful corals but too bad I cannot afford a underwater camera... if you really want to see the corals of Tioman Island, please google it.


Once we jumped into the water the fishes were swimming towards us, at first I thought there were welcoming us but later on the tour guide told us that the fishes were waiting for humans to feed them.

I took some biscuits I bought and in no time all the fishes were swimming towards me. The fishes had no fear towards humans and soon my hand which was holding the biscuits was surrounded by fishes trying to have lunch. It was like the fishes had been starved for a billion years.


If you are holding the food I suggest that you let it go, because sometimes those fishes can't really tell which one is food and which one is your hand. I got bitten a few times because I was holding the food for too long.


Snorkeling in Tioman is definitely a must if you have the opportunity to visit Tioman.


And the other thing you must do at Tioman is to buy alcohols and cigarettes because Tioman is a free tax district in Malaysia. A can of Heineken beer is only RM3, you can drink till you drop at Tioman.

16 comments:

travelcrab said...

Great pics. Hi, I'm Lina from Indonesia and I came across your blog while googling for Tioman Island. Can I rent a car to explore the island? Any rent a car service available, as in Langkawi? Thanks.

Leong Yi Yang said...

I don't think renting a car will be worth it coz Tioman island is an island full of small villages, it's not so developed like Langkawi and the road system is not so good. It'll be easier if u take boat to travel between villages.

travelcrab said...

Ever been to Perhentian Island? What do you think of it compare to Tioman in terms of accommodation and flight to and from Kuala Lumpur? Thanks. You've been very helpful :)

Leong Yi Yang said...

nope never been to Perhentian Island, but i heard it's beautiful there, wanted to go there but no time. In terms of accommodation and flight i m afraid i m not so familiar, sorry...

Anonymous said...

hi, may i know rent a baot or snorkeling with those island how much will be the charge per person or per boat? i will stay berjaya resort on next few days. thanks.

Leong Yi Yang said...

The cost is based on a per boat basis, 1 boat costs around RM120 to RM150, depends on the gear and boat that the hotel can provide.

kamarul said...

bro...i will go to tioman on july..i'm really glad if u can give me complete rate for snorkeling trip.....for 25 to 30 person..thanks...email me the price rate..dreamaker_inc@yahoo.com

Nico said...

Can you tell me which part of Tioman did you go to and take these pics?

Leong Yi Yang said...

I cannot remember the exact name of the place but it was at the west side of tioman island. Tioman island is a place full of beautiful scenary, do explore more if you have the chance to go there. I regretted I wasn't able to visit the whole island due to time constraint.

Anonymous said...

leongyiyang.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

hi leong yi yang,oh my.what a wonderful beach.im going tioman this end of may?can i know which part of tioman u stayed?is it salang?

Unknown said...

I would love to snorkel. I have planned a holiday next month and if the plan comes through then I will stay at Tioman hotels and dive and snorkel.

Anonymous said...

hi...which hotel did u stay at tioman?mind telling us d'details..thanks :)

khazs_3@yahoo.com

bryan said...

Hello,

Great info and cool pics on breath-taking Tioman. I've been there many times. In fact, I organize trips there now :)

Perhaps you could consider including a link to our website? The URL is: http://www.malaysiaseasports.com/ and it pertains to our eco-tourism, sea sports and outdoors sports outfit in Tanjung Resang, just north of Mersing, in Johor Bahru.

I cordially invite you to browse our site's pages, perhaps leave some feedback.

Should you have any questions or remarks, by all means let us know.

Regards,

Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports

Janine Weng said...

Those pix look awesome. Gosh, I didn't know that Tioman waters were that clear.

We're going for a snorkel trip to Tioman this coming August, a gift from my boyfriend :)

We're going to 3 snorkel sites too. I can't wait! I hope it's as good as your trip, lol!

Cheers.

Unknown said...

sir plz email your pakej on februarry 2016...tq