Monday, August 4, 2008

Langkawi: Bird Paradise


Langkawi is all about birds. First of all, the place is named after a bird, and then there are more than 200 species of birds chose Langkawi as their home.

Some people told me that Langkawi is the favorite spot for all the birdwatchers all around the world, I don’t know its true or not lah, but I don’t get it why those birdwatchers like to travel all the way to Langkawi, go into the deep forest or climb high hills just to watch birds. Overseas don’t have Discovery Channel or Animal Planet channels one meh?

If they really don’t have those channels they can always go to the Langkawi Bird Paradise to watch birds without getting all dirty.

The Langkawi Bird Paradise is a bird park, it is different from other bird parks like the Penang Bird Park or KL Bird Park because of its erm… the name.

This place is one of my favorite destinations in Langkawi. To begin with, the ticket booth gave me and Amy children price for the entrance fees. I don’t know why, but as a typical Malaysian, if got discounts, just take it lah.
Me trying to scare the parrot at the entrance

When we entered the bird park, sorry, Bird Paradise, we were welcomed by some parrots, initially I thought that the parrots will say something like “Welcome to Bird Paradise, hope that you have a pleasant visit, and please flush after you use the toilet.

But the parrots just stayed there staring at me as if I am invisible. Nevermind lah, children price mah, don’t expect too much.
Welcome to Bird Paradise, if you want me to shit on your t-shirt, please press 1


Besides parrots, Bird Paradise also has lots of species of birds inside. The number of birds was so many until I cannot remember what I saw. You know lah, the scientific names are hard to remember. I only know some of the birds’ name, the rest I leave it for you all to help me to identify and name it.
Big white birds


Long legged bird


Big beautiful birds


Hornbill, finally I know one name, muah haha


Big blue bird


Red mouth bird


Botak bird


Ugly ostrich


Male peacock trying to seduce the chicks


You can enter into the peacock area in Bird Paradise


The Langkawi Bird Paradise cannot be without eagles as eagle is the symbol of Langkawi. There were some eagles inside and the keeper was kind enough to let us have a close encounter with the eagles.
Much smaller than the eagle at Eagle Square


Actually I was in pain because one of its claws was on my arm...


If you shit on my T-shirt I'll make you Kentucky Fried Eagle, understand?


Although I had the leather arm protector on, the claws of the eagles were holding on so strong that I can fell the pain through the thick piece of leather.

Besides birds, Bird Paradise also has some mammals that I think it’s an added value for the visitors. The most memorable one would be the sang kancil. I never knew that sang kancil is a very small size deer.

We learnt from History lessons during secondary school about how Parameswara name Malacca after a tree all that stuff, that a sang kancil kicked a dog down to the river, so Parameswara just cin cai picked a tree name because he thought that sang kancil represents bravery. Impossible lah ok, either Parameswara's dog was a chihuahua or he mistaken a horse as sang kancil.

sang kancil VS dog? Siao ar...


The sang kancil's size is just like a small kitten. When I went near the cage, it also came close to ask for food. It was so cute that I nearly have the intention to steal it home.

At the back of the Bird Paradise, there is a big field full of rabbits, lots of rabbits. Even a guy like me can’t help it but to say there were cute.

The fence was not locked at that time so when I saw that there were no people around, I just opened the fence and went inside to play with the rabbits.


When I walked inside, all those rabbits were running towards me, maybe they thought that I am the keeper who brought food. But I was empty handed at that time so I just plucked some leafs from the trees nearby and fed the rabbits.

I never had so many rabbits running around me before, considered quite an experience lah, next time I want leng lui-s wear like bunny girl running around me. :-P

4 comments:

RJ said...

Hmm, reminds me of how the call you Ah Bird and maybe that's one of the reasons why you kinda had fun in the Bird Paradise?? :p No offense yea..

Btw, is the Bird Paradise a new thing in Langkawi? Didn't know its existence. LOL. Might pay Langkawi a visit in mid-August.

Ehhh, how did bday celebration go? :D

Leong Yi Yang said...

haha, long time didn't hear tat name d. The bird paradise isn't a new thing but it's fun coz u'll get close v the animals there.
My advice is not to visit it during holidays, or else will be "ppl mountain ppl sea".
I spent my bday at kuantan, was on a company trip, kinda fun oso. :-)

~JuNiE~ said...

Hikz.. of all places u kena go see birds... they r so feather-ry.. so GELI!!!! Aiyo.. tht big white birds are called flamingo ler... *bish* and tht botak bird.. its a vulture..
ha ha.. u kena balik kiddy to learn how to identify birds... but luckily after seeing so many birds u can still differentiate birds n bunnies.. he he...

Ning said...

Yi-yang-san,

Very funny indeed... laughed all the way when i read your blog... nice one... heheh~~~