Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Sichuan Earthquake


If you are now sitting comfortably in front of your computer reading this, you are a very lucky person.

Compare yourself with the victims of the Sichuan earthquake.


I have been following up the news of the earthquake and to be honest, the pictures almost make me cry.

Worried parents trying to find their children under the debris




A survivor waiting for rescue


Some pictures showed that the rescuers had to cut the legs or hands of some survivors buried under the debris of collapsed buildings in order to get them out before they bleed to death. There was even a case where the rescuers cannot reach to one young female survivor buried under tons of debris and that the survivor had to cut her own leg in order to survive.

Temporary shelters for the survivors

I also watched the live television news report where I found something worth sharing. The reporter interviewed an injured girl who was rescued from the debris of her primary school that what she did when waiting for rescue under the debris. The little girl answered something amazing: “I read my textbooks using the sunlight that came through a small hole.”

The reporter suddenly became speechless, so did I.


Imagine this, studying while being trapped under debris, not knowing when will be rescued and got nothing to eat or drink. Not everyone can do this. Even I have problem studying continuously for more than one hour in a comfortable and bright air-cond room.

The Olympics is just months away, the China government faced several setbacks in hosting the first Olympics in their country. The Sichuan earthquake undoubtedly slows down the pace of the Olympics preparation a little bit, but I am very confident that the Olympics will be a successful event.

Obstacles make people stronger, I hope that the people of Sichuan can go through this difficult phase in their life.

No comments: